"Name someone who has been a source of inspiration and support to you as you navigate your journey with CF, and describe this inspiration and support. This role model could be anyone, whether it is a public figure, someone else with CF, and advocate in the CF community, a personal mentor, family member or friend. As part of your essay, please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
The person who has always been my source of inspiration, is my mother. Through every part of my chronic illness, my mom has been by my side. She is graceful in the way she is so strong and gives her light to those around her. One important lesson my mom has taught me, is that everyone has their own battles and while we fight our own we should learn to also stand with others amidst their own storms. She is the most selfless person I know. She also has somehow managed to make waiting rooms and hospital stays fun and filled with laughter. When my heart is overwhelmed or my spirit weak, I can tell her anything and truly lean on her in those moments. Through the worst of times she has truly been my teammate when it comes to trying to kick CF’s butt. She is not only my selfless mother, but also a teacher, an author, an advocate, and a leader. Her impact goes far beyond me, but every person she comes in contact with. Everything I know and everything I aspire to be is because of her and the beauty that is her heart. My creative presentation emphasizes the simple gift of breath. The struggles of CF are simply the reality but the moments when my breathing is weak are also the moments when I realize I need to make the most of this life.
Avalon S.'s Artwork
Avalon S.'s Achievements
- Mission trips to Haiti (2003, 2009, 2011, 2014), Duluth (2010), New Orleans (2012), Denver (2013)
- Saint Cloud School of Dance (2006-2014)
- Youth Group Mentor (2010-2013)
- Sartell Dance Team (2010-2014), Captain (2013-2014)
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes (2011, 2012)
- National Honors Society (2013-2014)
- Confirmation mentor (2014-2015)
- Created Water Initiative and Fundraiser for Kozefo Primary School in Port au Prince Haiti (August 2015)
- Student Involvement in Campus Outreach (September 2015-present)
- Volunteer at Masonic Children's Hospital (January 2016-present)