"A year from now, what advice might you give to your past self that could help you overcome any obstacles you are currently facing? Explain how this advice could help you live your life with CF to the fullest potential right now. As part of your essay please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
I would consider myself a victim of “FOMO.” What is this you ask? It is the new slang to say one has a “fear of missing out.” This is the feeling I get when my illness gets in the way of me being able to participate in things that my family and friends are doing. Being sick or hospitalized means missing out on things, so in order to prevent this I must maintain my health. And with that being said, my advice to my past self would be “always make your health your number one priority.”
This past year has been a year of many changes for me. Living at college and away from home, I have had to really step up to the plate when caring for my CF. I am a full time student in a rigorous program and in order to succeed and achieve my goal of being a Physician Assistant I need to first keep my disease in check. Knowing all of the opportunities that are possible in good health, it is imperative to me that I am compliant to my therapies to prevent illness while also balancing a social life and a successful academic career. From going to the gym to traveling the world, anything can be accomplished when I am healthy.
Although caring for CF may seem like a hassle at times, I am reminded everyday that CF encompasses so many more meanings within my life, as displayed in my creative presentation.
Briana H.'s Artwork
Briana H.'s Achievements
- Honor Roll with Distinction and Dean's list (2012-2016)
- Personal Care Aide for children with disabilities through BOCES (employee) (2015-2016)
- YMCA Camp Kenan Resident Camp Counselor (volunteer/employee) (2012-2015)
- First patient committee member for the Family Advisory Counsel at Women and Children's Hospital of Buffalo (2014-2015)
- Pre-Health Society Secretary (2016)
- St. Francis Award for Outstanding Community Service, 100+ hours (2014-2015)
- Class Office - 9th grade President, 10th, 11th, 12th grades Representative (2012-2015)
- Member of the National Honor Society (2013-2015)
- Team Leader for Briana's Buddies in the Cystic Fibrosis Great Strides Walk (2012-2016)
- Varsity Cheerleading, Senior Year Captain (2012-2015)