"Name someone who has been a source of inspiration and support to you as you navigate your journey with CF, and describe this inspiration and support. This role model could be anyone, whether it is a public figure, someone else with CF, and advocate in the CF community, a personal mentor, family member or friend. As part of your essay, please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
Paul is the person who inspires me to know no limits and live a full, meaningful life. At fifty, Paul is a CF patient who has defied all the odds, surviving a double lung transplant, a kidney transplant, and countless hospitalizations. In spite of this, he’s never let CF define, restrict, or limit him. This is why Paul is a legend in the Connecticut CF community. Paul graduated from college, works as the CFF Special Events Coordinator, is married, travels extensively, and keeps replenishing his bucket list. He is known for his self-deprecating humor, his wit, his positive outlook, and his incredible mastery of the art form called pointillism. He combines these talents and attitude to maximum effect at the annual Rose Ball by emceeing the event with the perfect blend of comedy and fundraising expertise, fueling passionate bidding wars for his donated art. In every aspect of his life Paul consistently motivates others to get involved in the CFF and persist in finding a cure. Amazingly, he continues these efforts despite knowing that his condition is too deteriorated to benefit from most new drugs. Now that's truly inspirational!
Like Paul, I'm passionate about art. I believe battling CF has made me a more inspired artist. Through art I can emote in ways no other medium allows, yielding a catharsis that is deeply satisfying. My creative presentation is a painting I created displaying me star gazing. It is symbolic of my attitude about CF, always looking onward and upward!
Caroline C.'s Artwork
Caroline C.'s Achievements
- Avon High School Honor Roll, 2012-2015
- The Ethel Walker School Honor Roll, 2016
- Recipient of the Avon High School Scholar Athlete Award
- Cystic Fibrosis Ambassador
- Raised nearly $48,000 for the Sweet Caroline’s Supporters Great Strides Walk-a-thon team, placing the team in the top ten Great Strides Walk fundraising teams in Connecticut for four years.
- Created philanthropic video featured at the CFF Connecticut Chapter’s 2015 Wine Opener and Rose Ball events
- Advocate for the Ensuring Access to Clinical Trials Act (EACT)
- Created the painting “Sixty-five Roses” featured at the Connecticut Chapter of the CFF Awards Gala
- Special Olympics and Winter Games, Connecticut volunteer, 2012-Present
- St. Ann Church Youth Ministry Member, 2012-Present
- Learn to Skate Program Instructor, 2014-Present
- West Hartford Figure Skating Club Member, 2012-Present
- Connecticut Football Club Athlete, 2012-Present
- Avon High School Soccer Team
- Avon High School Softball Team
- Recipient of the Defensive Player of the Year Award, Avon High School
- The Ethel Walker School Soccer Team