"Name someone who has been a source of inspiration and support to you as you navigate your journey with CF, and describe this inspiration and support. This role model could be anyone, whether it is a public figure, someone else with CF, and advocate in the CF community, a personal mentor, family member or friend. As part of your essay, please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
Sir James Galway, noted flutist, is my inspiration. I admire his talent, skill, discipline and confidence. While CF could have kept me from playing flute, I have made sure it did not. James Galway says, “It’s all about practice, the more you do, the better you get.” I want to develop that sort of discipline to raise my flute playing to the next level. His mental preparation for performing inspires me. After sixty years playing, Galway still practices four hours daily. One of the greatest flutists ever, he believes practice is the difference between him and other talented flutists. He admits he has talent, but that many musicians do. The difference, he says, is practice.
I met Galway several years ago and he was so “normal” and friendly; I realized he is an ordinary person who works very hard but is still able to have fun playing the flute. He helped me believe I can do the same. With CF, I often have obstacles. I recently performed a recital with a lung infection. I could have re-scheduled, but it was important to me to perform as planned. I don’t want to allow CF to affect me as a performer.
When I listen to James Galway’s music I am joyful and inspired. When I performed at the Make-A-Wish conference, I was striving to pass on that same joy and inspiration to the audience. As I grow as a performer, I will continue to seek inspiration in James Galway.
Elizabeth S.'s Artwork
Elizabeth S.'s Achievements
- Stetson University Dean’s List, 2015-16
- Stetson University Symphonic Band, 1st Chair, 2nd Flute, 2015-16
- Sigma Alpha Iota Music Academic Fraternity, Stetson University, 2015-16
- Macy's Great American Marching Band member, chosen from national audition, Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
- Florida All State Honor Band and Women's Choir, 2015
- Tri-M Music Honor Society, 2012-15, Charter Member
- Outstanding Senior Wall of Fame - 2014-15 Western High School
- Great Strides Team Leader "Team Elizabeth" - Top Team
- Music Mentoring/Tutoring, Indian Ridge Middle School, 2013-15
- Western HS "Pride of the Wildcats” Marching Band, Flute Section Leader 2014-15, Secretary/Librarian 2012-15, State Finalists FMBC 2013