"A year from now, what advice might you give to your past self that could help you overcome any obstacles you are currently facing? Explain how this advice could help you live your life with CF to the fullest potential right now. As part of your essay please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
Dear Emily of 2016,
You're almost finished with your second semester of speech pathology graduate school. This semester has been a rollercoaster--your health has not been the best, and you've had to juggle going in the hospital, taking lots of extra medication, going to school, and keeping up with friends and family. It's been tiring; you need a break from it all, particularly from cystic fibrosis. Unfortunately, CF doesn't take a day off.
CF can easily seem like it's taking over your life. Sometimes, you feel like you aren't anything more than your mutated genes. You've felt that a lot this semester as you've become more frustrated with how much CF interferes with you living a normal life. Whenever you begin to feel consumed by this thought, remember: you are so much more than your CF. You created a collage of pictures to remind you of everything you are outside your CF. You are a daughter, a sister, a friend, and a girlfriend. You are a college graduate and a graduate student. You are a persistent leader, a strong fighter, an exercise enthusiast. You are a force for good in the CF world by taking part in studies and raising money and awareness.
Emily of 2016, overcome the insecurity that you are nothing more than CF. Don't let that keep you from reaching your fullest potential. You are gifted in many ways--CF can't limit you if you don't let it!
Emily I.'s Artwork
Emily I.'s Achievements
- National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA), 2012-current
- NSSLHA Secretary, 2015-2016
- Summa Cum Laude Baylor Graduate BA Communication Sciences and Disorders and Linguistics Minor May 2015
- Reading Assistant in the Language and Learning Center, 2013-2015
- Cystic Fibrosis Center Volunteer 2005-current
- Highland College Ministry Connection Group Leader 2012-2015
- Highland College Ministry Leadership Team Member 2014-2015
- Sigma Phi Lambda Member 2013-2015; Chaplain 2014
- Dean's List 2012-2015