"A year from now, what advice might you give to your past self that could help you overcome any obstacles you are currently facing? Explain how this advice could help you live your life with CF to the fullest potential right now. As part of your essay please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
I am about to go through the biggest change of my life. In three short months I will move across the country and take full responsibility for my health, my academics, and college track and field.
During my first year at college, I will experience an unfathomable amount of ups and downs. I am unqualified to tell my future self how to handle the obstacles I may face because I have no idea what they will be.This is exactly what my creative piece is about. I do not know what may arise as I become independent for the first time, but there is no point in dwelling on the possible problems that might occur. If I did worry about these possibilities I would get nowhere with my life.
For this same reason, I have done track and field since I was six. Running has helped keep me healthy and I have been able to compete for twelve whole years because I do not let the possibility of getting sick stop me from exercising. Next year I am going to do college track and I am going continue to be a competitive athlete because I can be.
I have Cystic Fibrosis, but I am also so much more than that. I want to run track. I want to major in Cognitive Science and become a brain scientist. None of these dreams have to do with CF. My health should never get in the way of who I want to be.
Frances K.'s Artwork
Frances K.'s Achievements
- High School Varsity Track and Field 9th - 12th grade
- Varsity Girls Track Captain 11th and 12th grade
- 9th grade most inspirational player, 10th grade MVP of track, 11th grade overall MVP, 12th grade overall MVP
- Member of the USA Track and Field club Team Onalysis from 2005 to present
- Volunteer Tutor for Bridge the Gap College Prep 10th - 12th grade
- High School Link Crew Leader 11th and 12th grade
- Interact Club 11th and 12th grade
- Treasurer of Tam High School Interact community service club
- Raised $2000 for Los Quinchos in Nicaragua and Paces for Polio
- Intern for SAFE Skills Inc. summer between 10th and 11th grade
- Violinist 2003 - present
- High school orchestra 9th - 12th grade
- Marin Symphony Youth Orchestra 9th grade
- Judge for High School Musician Showcase Concert 12th grade
- Compose songs on both the violin and guitar in my free time
- Co-Founder of Learning Zone Tutoring 11th and 12th grade
- Member of Editorial Board and Reporter for the Tam News 12th grade
- Recipient of the MIT Leadership award for Mathematics at my high school (11th grade)
- Young Voices of America Foundation Short Story Contest 2013, 2nd Place in High School Category
- Scholastic Art and Writing Awards 2015: Silver Key and Honorable Mention Poetry, Honorable Mention Humor
- Scholastic Art and Writing Awards 2014: Honorable Mention Poetry