"Name someone who has been a source of inspiration and support to you as you navigate your journey with CF, and describe this inspiration and support. This role model could be anyone, whether it is a public figure, someone else with CF, and advocate in the CF community, a personal mentor, family member or friend. As part of your essay, please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
My inspiration does not come from a single person, but a single unit: my family. In my unpredictable life with CF, my family remains a firm foundation. I need the determination of my mother, the optimism of my dad, and the silliness of my brothers. Without one of them the foundation is broken. When CF is tough, they cheer me on. My drive to fight stems from their faith in my strength. They know I can beat this disease and so I know I can as well.
This may sound like an average family, but to me their support is exceptional. When the doctors tried to dismiss my sickness, my mom stood up for me. When I wanted to apply to 11 colleges, my dad took me seriously. When people did not care, my brothers built me up. While I am scared about going far away for college, I know this is the right choice for me. I am confident in my character and determined to beat this disease. Deep down I know this determination and confidence is not just my own, but a compilation of the feelings radiating off my family as they send me on my own adventure.
My family and I work hard everyday to battle CF. My creative submission is a video of me playing the Vitali Chaconne. Just like CF, this piece gets harder as it progresses, but I do not give up. I keep going until it becomes an accomplishment instead of an obstacle.
Grace K.'s Artwork
Grace K.'s Achievements
- 2016 Coca Cola Scholar
- Bishop T.K. Gorman Varsity Sports: Cross-Country 2012-2016 (captain 2015), Swim 2012-2016, and Track Team 2013-2015
- Cystic Fibrosis Great Strides Team Leader, Volunteer, and Speaker 2012-present (Top National Team; Prudential Spirit of Community Award 2015 and 2016; President's Gold Level Volunteer Service Award)
- Girl Scouts of America and Gold Award Recipient 2012-present
- East Texas Youth Orchestra 2012-2016, Concertmaster 2014-2016
- Dolce Vita String Quartet Co-Founder and Violinist 2012-present
- Student Council: Freshman Representative (2012-2013), Junior Vice-President (2014-2015)
- All State Orchestra, Texas Private School Music Educators Association, Violinist, 2013-2016
- National Honor Society 2014-2016
- Bishop T.K. Gorman Student Ambassador 2012-2016