"Name someone who has been a source of inspiration and support to you as you navigate your journey with CF, and describe this inspiration and support. This role model could be anyone, whether it is a public figure, someone else with CF, and advocate in the CF community, a personal mentor, family member or friend. As part of your essay, please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
Throughout my journey with CF, my mother has been a great source of inspiration and support to me. Her favorite phrase since I was diagnosed at eight months old in Clarksville, Tennessee, was “Henry, take these lemons and make lemonade!” She has taught me to live life to the fullest and not let CF limit my aspirations. When I was growing up and participating in hockey and lacrosse events, she made sure I didn’t take shortcuts with my CF treatments. I quickly realized the benefits of maintaining a strict medical routine. She also shared tough love with me and never allowed me to use CF as an excuse for not getting my homework completed. Since my mom was a sprinter in high school and in college, she always reminded me to exercise my lungs! My mom has served as a tremendous role model and life coach. Inspiring me on a daily basis, she taught me to never give up, maintain a positive attitude, and give 150 percent in whatever task was at hand. My creative presentation highlights the importance of exercise and how athletics have helped me battle the challenges of cystic fibrosis. I have learned that I must exercise all my life to loosen the mucus in my lungs and to keep my lung function as high as possible. Everyone has mountains to climb in life ... for me, it's conquering CF through regular physical fitness, daily medical treatments, and a determined attitude!
Henry C.'s Artwork
Henry C.'s Achievements
- John B. Barnes Award for Honor, Humility, Reliability, and Deportment, 2013
- Mid-Atlantic Prep Hockey League (MAPHL) All-Academic Honors, 2015, 2016
- Gonzaga Ice Hockey Dominik Pettey "Man For Others" Award, 2016
- Varsity Ice Hockey, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (Assistant Captain)
- Varsity Lacrosse, 2013, 2014, 2015 (Captain), 2016 (Captain)
- Selected for University of Maryland Division I Men's Lacrosse, 2016
- Selected to be "Tim Finnegan" in the Gonzaga Choral Spring Concert, 2013
- Volunteer at Father McKenna Center (serving meals to homeless men), 2014, 2015, 2016 (50 hours)
- Volunteer at United Community Ministries (UCM) Thrift Shop, 2015 (35 hours)
- Raised money for Pediatric Cancer Be Brave and Shave, 2013, 2014, 2015 and Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2016 with Gonzaga Lacrosse Program