"Name someone who has been a source of inspiration and support to you as you navigate your journey with CF, and describe this inspiration and support. This role model could be anyone, whether it is a public figure, someone else with CF, and advocate in the CF community, a personal mentor, family member or friend. As part of your essay, please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
My grandfather is the best man I ever had the pleasure of knowing. His positivity radiated through any room and turned every frown into a smile. The lessons I gathered from his modeling in my childhood molded my mindset into what it is today. I was taught to never view the obstacles given to me to me as setbacks, but instead as challenges that I will overcome. As I watched my grandfather go through cancer I never noticed a glimmer of sadness and even a minor complaint was unheard of. His mission was to teach me to be brave because he knew I had a life ahead of me in which I would continue to battle Cystic Fibrosis. My grandfather refused to let me see a despondent attitude from him. To strengthen his spine he would walk laps around his neighborhood in a heavy army helmet which forced him to stand upright regardless of the pain he experienced. My grandfather is the definition of both a fighter and courage. I aspire to be as tremendous as this man was. I will never allow myself to feel sorry for my circumstances and pity the struggles I face. Instead, I shall rejoice the opportunities I have been given and work daily to bolster myself. My creative presentation represents that I am just like everyone else, yet different. I’m capable but at the same time my CF sets me apart as a fighter. I will never permit it to hold me back.
Holly B.'s Artwork
Holly B.'s Achievements
- Girls School Tennis Team (Every year of high school)
- Elected Junior Marshall
- "Volunteen" (teen volunteer) at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
- Bernard H. Thomas Leadership Academy at Davidson County Community College (Summer of 2014)
- End of the Year School Awards Ceremony 2014 - Most outstanding student in "Foods" (elective), Honors Biology, Honors Health Team and Honors Algebra II
- End of the Year School Awards Ceremony 2015 - Top student in Honors Chemistry, Pre-Calculus Honors, Health Science and Advanced Placement Psychology
- Great Strides for Cystic Fibrosis Walk/Fundraiser
- Member and Officer in Training of Health Occupations Students of America/HOSA Club (Each year of High School)
- Member of National Honors Society, BETA Club, and Mu Alpha Theta (Junior and Senior Year)
- "Fan Drive" for local senior citizens through Winston-Salem Senior Services (Freshman Year)
- Peer Tutor in Math at High School (Junior and Senior Year)
- Dog Food Drive (Sophomore Year)