"Name someone who has been a source of inspiration and support to you as you navigate your journey with CF, and describe this inspiration and support. This role model could be anyone, whether it is a public figure, someone else with CF, and advocate in the CF community, a personal mentor, family member or friend. As part of your essay, please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
Throughout my journey with CF my inspiration and support has always been my parents. They have been my rock and number one advocates. I admire my dad for his hard work, passion and sense of humor. He is always able to make me laugh and look at the bright side of things. My father is the provider and has given me the opportunity to have dance as an intricate part of my childhood which has helped both physically and mentally in my battle. . My mother is hard working, nurturing, smart and tenacious. She has dedicated her life to making my life easier. She advocates for me and asks the doctors tough questions. As one doctor said, “no one knows your child better than you”. She has stressed the importance of being physically fit, disciplined, and positive in this fight. There is no one else I would want on my team.
The artwork I presented are pieces I painted for my dorm room before heading off to college. They represent my past, present and future journeys but all interconnected. SDSU is the journey I am about to embark on. Relax is to remind me to not to worry about the little things and live life to the fullest. The heart portrays I am loved and supported by many. Be-you-tiful is to be true to myself. Breathe is to describe the significance CF has on my life and to keep a balance in college.
Kelcey B.'s Artwork
Kelcey B.'s Achievements
- Alpha Phi social Chair September 2015-present
- Commissioner of Education August 2013-May 2014
- Commissioner of Assemblies August 2014-May 2015
- Student Orientation Squad- Main Leader August 2014
- San Diego State University: G.P.A. 3.6
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Edison High School G.P.A. 3.98
- Student of the month: March 2015
- Golden Key CIBACS: May 2015
- City of Huntington Beach: Youth Character Award May 2015
- Academic Booster Club Award: English January 2012, Chemistry January 2013, AP Stats January 2015
- Character Award: Responsibility January 2014, 2015; Perseverance January 2012, 2015
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation- December 2014
- Produced Dance Show benefiting the CF Foundation. Raised approximately $8,000.00 through ticket sales and silent auction items. Performed all responsibilities including booking venue, designing and production of tickets, advertising event, soliciting auction items, setting up venue, public relations, choreography of pieces, coordinating speakers, communicating with CF Foundation, and dancing with elite dancers from West Coast School of the Arts.
- Duane Clinkscales Memorial Foundation- March 2015, March 2016
- Event speaker at golf tournament dinner
- National Charity League- April 2015