"A year from now, what advice might you give to your past self that could help you overcome any obstacles you are currently facing? Explain how this advice could help you live your life with CF to the fullest potential right now. As part of your essay please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
"Stay strong," those are the two simple words that I would remind myself a year from now to help me face my battles. One of the many definitions of strength and my favorite is: the quality that allows someone to deal with problems in a determined and effective way. There are so many people in our world today who are fighters, faced with challenges, some even facing the unbearable odds we can’t even relate to. I wonder how they survive every day and make the most out of their lives. Well that answer is strength. Everyone needs their strength to accomplish dreams and achieve the unimaginable.
I was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis at the age of 7. At the time I never understood what my diagnosis meant for my future. To be honest I still don’t, but what I have learned and will continue to carry with me is to always believe in myself. I will continue to fight for my dreams so I can live my life to the fullest. In order for me to overcome my obstacles, I have to stay strong. CF strong.
My artwork is a painting I recently created that depicts the strength required to battle Cystic Fibrosis. I outlined the flexed arm with words that describe a fighter. Some of those words being: hope, dream, faith, determination and courage. To me, no matter what you are faced with in life or the battles you must overcome, strength is key to conquering.
Kevin R.'s Artwork
Kevin R.'s Achievements
- St. Peters Rec-Plex Camp Counselor (2013-2015)
- Theta Xi Fraternity (2015-present)
- Best Freshman/Associate Member Award, Committee Holder, Intramurals
- Missouri University of Science & Technology Dean's List & Honor Roll (2015-2016)
- Missouri S&T's Backpacking Club (2015-present)
- High School Honor Roll (2012-2015)
- Academic Letter, Silver and Gold Lamp of knowledge, Highest Honor Pin, Academic Excellence Award, and Perfect Attendance all four years
- High School A+ Program (2012-2015)
- Tutored elementary and high school students
- Future Business Leaders of America (2015)
- 4th Place in District competition in Computer Applications
- High School Soccer, Varsity (2015), Conference All-Academic Team, Junior Varsity (2012-2014) Captain 2013, JV Defensive Player of the Year Award 2012, 2013, 2014
- Student of the Week (2014)
- Annual Great Strides CF Walk Fundraising (2007-present)
- Breast Cancer Research Fundraising (2016)
- Highway Clean-up (2016)