"Name someone who has been a source of inspiration and support to you as you navigate your journey with CF, and describe this inspiration and support. This role model could be anyone, whether it is a public figure, someone else with CF, and advocate in the CF community, a personal mentor, family member or friend. As part of your essay, please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
My source of inspiration is someone who has CF and who also underwent a double lung transplant. She taught me that the word “can’t” is never to be a part of my vocabulary. She demonstrated, through example, what it means to be courageous and to persevere under the direst of circumstances. I watched her fight for every breath she took while spending weeks on a ventilator. We celebrated together the day she took a deep breath with her new lungs. My encouragement, motivation, and the inspirational source that never lets me forget that “I can and I will” is my mom. I learned from her how to achieve all of my dreams, from the most miniscule to the greatest of accomplishments. For as long as I can remember, my mom never allowed me to use CF as an excuse to not succeed. I was taught that I needed to work harder and be stronger while never losing sight of my goals. I cannot imagine my life without her constant reminder that anything is possible. I am proud to say that my mom is still by my side as I continue to successfully balance CF and my personal aspirations. I demonstrated the balance in my life through my artistic presentation by using the scales of justice. I stand strong and poised in the middle of the scale with CF on one side and law school on the other. Both of them are in perfect balance. No excuses.
Kiersten C.'s Artwork
Kiersten C.'s Achievements
- University of Florida Anderson Scholar - 2014, highest recognition bestowed on undergraduate students for their first two years of academic achievements.
- UF Honors Program, 2012-2016.
- UF Chapter of Golden Key Honors Society, 2013-present
- UF Stomp the Swamp tap performance team,President 2014,2015,2016. Show Director, 2014. Member 2012-2016.
- "UF Donate Life", President 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016. Member 2012-2016. Created the annual "UF Donate Life" community fundraiser event. 2014
- UF Phi Alpha Delta Pre-law organization, Executive Board Member 2013, 2014, 2015. Member 2012-2016. Community Service Director, 2013. Professional Networking Director, 2014. New Member Director, 2015
- UF TA (teachers assistant) - Fall 2015 - Spring 2016. (Philosophy Department)
- UF Health Streetlight intern, 2015-2016 - Streetlight is a young adult support program for people aged 13-25 living with cancer, cystic fibrosis, sickle cell, and other chronic illnesses. I work with fundraising and program development.
- Boys and Girls Club, 2012-present, volunteer, after school tutor.
- Graduated in May 2016 from the University of Florida with High Honors and a Bachelor of Arts and Sciences Degree in Political Science, A Bachelor of Arts and Sciences Degree in Philosophy and a minor in Nonprofit Organizational Leadership. I will be attending law school in the fall of 2016.