"A year from now, what advice might you give to your past self that could help you overcome any obstacles you are currently facing? Explain how this advice could help you live your life with CF to the fullest potential right now. As part of your essay please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
As a person with cystic fibrosis, I have learned the importance of being part of a community that shares a similar battle. While we each personally overcome our own obstacles, we, as a community, also overcome obstacles together. Together the community tries to tell the world about cystic fibrosis, a rare disease that tends not to get much press. We try to raise money to treat and cure a disease that kills our friends. We struggle together when we long for a friend who understands, but must stay behind our computer screens, for fear of spreading deadly bacteria to one another. Yet, the advice I would give to myself, and this community down the road, is to appreciate the deep connection that we have to one another. My presentation is a poem that I wrote that expresses the difficulty of being a part of a community where some members benefit from medical advancements, while others still suffer. At the end of the poem, the reader is reminded that we are in this together. I continue to raise money and awareness for cystic fibrosis, because as long as one person is suffering with the illness, we all are. And as painful as it can be, the bonds we share are unbreakable, in life and in death. The photo next to my poem is of a sunset through the trees after a cold, snowy day in New England, reminding us that even in the hardest moments we face together, there is light.
Lauren B.'s Artwork
Lauren B.'s Achievements
- Blogger - Authors the blog "I Have CF, So What?!" ihavecfsowhat.blogspot.com written to inspire people with CF to incorporate exercise into their lives, talk to parents of children with CF about exercise and raising children with a chronic illness, serve as a positive role model for children with CF and promote the importance of compliance and a positive attitude for all patients. Present
- Human Resources Coordinator II, Education Development Center (non-profit). 2014-Present
- Diversity Committee Member - Led and organized donation drive and volunteer trip to Cradles to Crayons, a local non-profit dedicated to helping children in need in the community. 2014-Present
- Diversity Task Force Member- Selected to serve on CEO/President's task force to develop proposal to increase diversity and inclusion at Education Development Center. Present.
- Speaker- Vertex Pharmaceuticals, spoke in front of 200 employees to educate about living with cystic fibrosis. 2016
- Cystic Fibrosis Patient and Caregiver Panel- Vertex Pharmaceuticals, brainstorm ideas to address needs within the cystic fibrosis community. 2016.
- Internship Committee Member - worked on a team to organize a comprehensive internship program for local college students to gain experience in the Senior Living Industry 2012-2014
- Stonehill College Moreau Honors Student - 2009-2013
- Volunteer/Leader - HOPE Alternative Spring Break Program
- Tutor - School on Wheels - tutored students impacted by homelessness 2009-2012