"Name someone who has been a source of inspiration and support to you as you navigate your journey with CF, and describe this inspiration and support. This role model could be anyone, whether it is a public figure, someone else with CF, and advocate in the CF community, a personal mentor, family member or friend. As part of your essay, please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
It is crucial for a CF patient to receive healthy doses of motivation and support. Therefore, I am fortunate to have been blessed with many sources of inspiration and an extensive support system. However, one person who does not receive enough acknowledgment for encouraging me through my struggles with CF is my little brother. My brother has always played an integral role in my support system. He selflessly and readily helps me with tasks such as bringing me medicines and packing my medical equipment, often without me asking. He also supports me in little ways such as wearing a purple CF ribbon on his varsity jacket. My brother is very athletic, and he encourages me to work harder to keep my lungs healthy by doing physical exercise daily. He has taught me to not limit my goals and aspirations because I have CF, and in doing so, he has helped me to accomplish more than I ever dreamed possible.
For my creative presentation, I made a model of the lungs using natural objects. Living with CF has taught me the value of a single breath and the importance of enjoying the beauty of everyday life. I have learned that by working hard to adhere to medication routines and airway clearance, that I can enjoy life and live it to the fullest with my CF. This creative piece reminds me that regardless of the struggles we are going through, if we are breathing, we are living, and life is beautiful.
Mackenzie G.'s Artwork
Mackenzie G.'s Achievements
- Member of SOTA (Student Occupational Therapy Association) (2014 - Present)
- Public Relations Representative for University of Findlay Newman Club (2014 - Present)
- Volunteer at Kaitlyn's Cottage for short-term care for those with intellectual and physical disabilities (2016 - Present)
- Volunteer at Saint Mary's Catholic Church food pantry (2014 - Present)
- University of Findlay Dean's List (2014-2016)
- Top 5% of Freshmen Class-University of Findlay (2014-2015)
- Top 5% of Sophomore Class-University of Findlay (2015-2016)
- Ayersville High School Class Valedictorian with a weighted GPA of 4.084 (2014)
- National Federation of State High School Associations Spirit of Sport Award for Section 2 (Kentucky, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Virginia, Delaware, and Maryland) (2014)
- Daughters of the American Revolution (D.A.R.), Good Citizen Award (2013)