"Name someone who has been a source of inspiration and support to you as you navigate your journey with CF, and describe this inspiration and support. This role model could be anyone, whether it is a public figure, someone else with CF, and advocate in the CF community, a personal mentor, family member or friend. As part of your essay, please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
The challenges with Cystic Fibrosis is not meant for everybody. But with the immense support from my mom and dad, they have inspired me to keep inhaling the “can” and exhaling the “can’t” in order to conquer the daily stressors inflicted from Cystic Fibrosis (CF).
My parents helped me navigate the direction in my life. The story of our journey when I was diagnosed is what attracts me to meet the level of strength needed to carry on any obstacle big or small. When I was four months old, my mom started to notice my wheezing, coughing, and my constant hunger for food even before and after my large meals. When a pediatrician thought that I had asthma, my mom was still worried for my declining health. Eventually, I was screened for CF through a sweat test and my mom cried for three solid days after given the news of my diagnosis. Eventually, my mom decided to "put on her big girl panties and deal with it." That day was the most life-altering and painful day for my parents. But they always told me that I am a blessing to have in this world.
My creative presentation is a video of my musical performance at the Neptune Theatre in Seattle, Washington. This video is a tribute to my parents. With the strength that I have acquired from them, I have the ability to cough out the darkest days of CF and fulfill my talents and goals as a musician.
Marc E.'s Artwork
Marc E.'s Achievements
- Dean's List, Seattle Pacific University (SPU). (2015-present).
- Guest musician featured in "Well-Strung" show at the Neptune Theatre. Seattle, Washington. (2016)
- College intramural sports volleyball (2016)
- Cross Country Varsity Letter and Most Improved Award. Bellarmine Preparatory School. (2014-2015)
- Pianist and composer. Musician's original work: marcestabrook.bandcamp.com/releases
- Superior and excellent ratings for piano in Commencement Bay Music Educators Association contests. (2012-2015)
- Tenor vocalist in Concert choir, Bellarmine Prep and Seattle Pacific University. (2012-present)
- Volunteer work with Make-A-Wish Foundation Alaska and Washington. (2015-present)
- Invited by national office of Make-A-Wish Foundation to musically perform at 35th annual conference in Disneyland, CA. (2015)
- Student of the Month Award. Bellarmine Prep. (2013)