"Name someone who has been a source of inspiration and support to you as you navigate your journey with CF, and describe this inspiration and support. This role model could be anyone, whether it is a public figure, someone else with CF, and advocate in the CF community, a personal mentor, family member or friend. As part of your essay, please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
One person that has made a tremendous impact on my life and my battle with CF has been my cross country coach, Tony. When I was in sixth grade, I was an out of shape, pudgy, wheezy kid who needed to improve his health. I would go down to the trails in the summer and attempt to run the two or three miles coach asked me to, albeit slowly. I hated every minute on the trail but stuck with it, and that decision changed my life. Coach took me under his wing and led me to become the runner and the man I am today. He's spent multiple days after practice helping me even further, pushing me harder to help my lung function rise to that of a person without CF. I'll be the first to admit that I'm nowhere close to being the best runner out there, but through his expert guidance and compassionate coaching I've been fortunate enough to run in three state championship races and left with two team state championships. He is always proud of me, whether my race was my best or my not-so-best. Tony has been a major role model in my life, and a person I strive to be like every day.
My creative presentation is me on Mt. Phillips, 11742 feet up after backpacking nearly 2 weeks in the New Mexico backcountry, a feat I accomplished after I decided to take control over CF and not let it take control of me.
Robert H.'s Artwork
Robert H.'s Achievements
- Varsity Cross Country Team, Captain, 2012-2015
- Varsity Track Team, Captain, 2013-2016
- Varsity Swim Team, Captain, All-state Team 2012-2016
- Scholastic Bowl, Co-Captain, 2012-2016
- Boy Scouts, Senior Patrol Leader and Eagle Scout, 2012-2016
- Marching & Concert Band, Low Brass Section Leader, 2012-2016
- Curb Worker at Tastee Freeze, Part Time, 2014-2015
- Mountain Academic Competition Conference, Math Team Captain, 2012-2016
- Bid For a Cure CF Auction, Volunteer, 2012-2016