"Name someone who has been a source of inspiration and support to you as you navigate your journey with CF, and describe this inspiration and support. This role model could be anyone, whether it is a public figure, someone else with CF, and advocate in the CF community, a personal mentor, family member or friend. As part of your essay, please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
Imagine living with a life threatening illness that requires you to completely change your lifestyle while eagerly awaiting the opportunity to receive a lifesaving organ transplant. Next imagine finally receiving that transplant, only to develop detrimental post-surgical complications that leave you helpless, requiring a ventilator to work your lungs enough to sufficiently oxygenate your body. This terrifying series of events happened to the most influential and important person in my life, and that person is my mother. My mother inspires me to keep fighting each day no matter what obstacles I face with my Cystic Fibrosis, because of the incredible strength that she has had in overcoming a terrible medical condition that caused her to require the use of a ventilator in the hospital for over four months. No matter how hard things have become in the past couple of months, she continues to work each day to not only take incredible care of her health, but to live each day to the fullest. My mother inspires me to do whatever it takes to keep myself healthy, and to strive for my educational goals. My creative piece titled “Understanding Stars” signifies the importance of understanding the internal struggle that many individuals face, including cystic fibrosis patients, that may not be outwardly visible. There are countless individuals around the world that suffer from illnesses that may not be completely understood or even visibly evident, and it is important to understand the impact of ailments that can’t be physically seen.
Sarah Y.'s Artwork
Sarah Y.'s Achievements
- American Society of Laboratory Animal Practitioners Member and Vice President 2016, Present
- Veterinary Scholar Summer Research Program Participant NIH and Cystic Fibrosis Foundation funded research project, 2015.
- Excellent Employee Rating, and a part of 3 research papers published in the Pulmonary Field at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, Research Assistant II Position, 2013-2014.
- Ohio Veterinary Medical Association Member, Session Presider for 2015 Midwest Veterinary Conference, 2014, Present
- Student Chapter American Veterinary Medical Association Member, Community Outreach Committee Member, 2014, Present
- Cincinnati Veterinary Medical Association OSU First Year Veterinary Student Scholarship Recipient, 2015.
- Magna Cum Laude Graduation Honors, Graduating Biology Student of the Year, Wilmington College, 2013.
- Wilmington College Equestrian Team Western Rider, 2011-2013, Regional Competition Qualifying Rider, 2013.
- Wilmington College Veterinarians of Tomorrow Club, President 2010-2013.
- Greater Cincinnati Area Great Strides Walk Participant and Team Leader, 2011-Present.