"A year from now, what advice might you give to your past self that could help you overcome any obstacles you are currently facing? Explain how this advice could help you live your life with CF to the fullest potential right now. As part of your essay please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
Your year will be coming in like a storm, some soft like the ones you love and other's like a thundering terror: but you will fight because this is the year of your strongest dreams. There will be points where not everyone will think with their hearts and it will challenge your outlook on who has your back with your CF- but keep pushing because others with hearts will find and help you. Your dream of living through art and becoming an Art Therapist will set sail but only if you do those treatments. They sometimes feel like a dreaded pause when in reality, your life is still on play towards your passion and a longer life. Keep letting people in about your CF because you'll be pleasantly surprised and they won't leave you. You'll be moving to Chicago and I want you to realize your friends will be your family there. And always think of what you're striving for. This advice is very prevalent because I believe this will be my biggest year yet. This advice is surrounded by allowing more trust and that is what I need most now since there are many unknowns.
The person in my artwork is symbolic of my new strength and positivity. People are supported on my shoulders of strength, symbolizing my greatest outlook of becoming an Art Therapist to connect with people and give them the hope art therapy gave to me. Art has always guided me through CF.
Sydney D.'s Artwork
Sydney D.'s Achievements
- 2 year Volunteer Art Therapist Assistant through Studio E in Milwaukee and the Epilepsy Foundation Heart of Wisconsin at Froedtert Hospital, WI (8 week program during 2015 and 2016)
- GSA (LGBTQ alliance) High School club member (2015)
- Waukesha North High School Empowerment Week Assistant Coordinator (2015)
- Art Portfolio and Statement Merit Scholar (2016)
- Awarded "Most Dedicated Team Player" for High School JV Tennis (2014)
- Achieved a spot in the Top 4 winners bracket in the local JV Tennis Tournament (2014)
- Winner of the Cindy Anhalt Memorial Award for a High School Student Facing severe or terminal Medical conditions with determination for success and dedication in school and beyond (2015)
- Short Story published in North High School, WI Newsletter (2015)