"Name someone who has been a source of inspiration and support to you as you navigate your journey with CF, and describe this inspiration and support. This role model could be anyone, whether it is a public figure, someone else with CF, and advocate in the CF community, a personal mentor, family member or friend. As part of your essay, please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
I was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis when I was six months old, consequently affecting my whole life. Those I love have also been affected by it, especially my father. Prior to my diagnosis neither of my parents knew much about the disease, but with his determination, my dad set out to learn as much as possible about CF. Over the course of my life, he has studied and researched everything available. My dad’s love motivated him to work tirelessly to help me in my ailments, and in doing so, has motivated me as well. Each day, I am inspired by his continuous efforts to improve my health and better my life. Even through my times of hospitalization and sickness he has been there for me, never giving up his hope for a brighter future, and in turn influencing me to view life in the same manner.
My father has taught me to never let the obstacles I face hinder my happiness or my efforts to reach my goals. That is why I can always be found putting forth my best efforts, all with a smile on my face; I even won the senior superlative for best smile. My journey with CF, albeit challenging, has been one of learning and growth. In my creative presentation, I illustrated myself in my truest form- with a bright smile and happy heart- to show how I never let my CF hold me back from living fully and enjoying every moment.
Tabitha C.'s Artwork
Tabitha C.'s Achievements
- Varsity Cheer Team 2014-2016, Vice President of Operations 2015-2016
- Junior Varsity Cheer Team 2013-2014
- National Honor Society 2014-2016
- Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society 2013-2015, Recruitment Officer 2013-2014
- Church Youth Group Leadership, 2nd Counselor 2013-2014, Secretary 2014-2015, 1st Counselor 2015-2016
- Volunteer for Dando Amor Shoes for Love (collecting/organizing shoes for orphans in Africa and other third world countries) 2014-2015
- Volunteer for William's Community School (school for special needs children- teacher's assistant, pool buddy, volunteer at fundraising events) 2013-2016
- Volunteer for Texas Mentor Foster Care (organizing and participating in Christmas parties for foster care children and their families) 2013-2015
- Volunteer for Round Rock Housing Authority (renovating community center for government funded housing), Chair of material organization 2016
- Volunteer for Ridgeview Middle School (volunteer coach/choreographer for cheer team) 2014-2015