"A year from now, what advice might you give to your past self that could help you overcome any obstacles you are currently facing? Explain how this advice could help you live your life with CF to the fullest potential right now. As part of your essay please also explain the significance of your creative presentation to your journey with CF."
You can be bitter, or you can be better… You can easily be bitter about the cards life has dealt you, but that doesn't change the fact that you still have to play out your hand. You will always have CF, so value the lessons it teaches you. CF has forced you to learn effective time management, perseverance, and mental strength. This will help you face the obstacles ahead of you, such as stressful college courses and maintaining healthy routines on your own. Use the adversity of Cystic Fibrosis to improve yourself. CF will not make you physically stronger, smarter, or more talented; but it has conditioned you to appreciate even the littlest gifts of life. Use the lessons CF teaches you to live life to the fullest. Just because you have less life to spend than others, doesn't mean that you can't experience as much or more. Lastly, Cystic Fibrosis cannot hold you back unless you let it; so be better, not bitter. My artwork represents the dragon that resides within me, my inner strength. It is the reason I am able to surge past the boundaries of CF, and do the things I love. I am proud of all that I have accomplished, and attribute it to my fierce determination and refusal to back down from a challenge. The Yin Yang element symbolizes perfect harmony of my iron will against the shackles of Cystic Fibrosis, and the untainted euphoria from living my life to the absolute max.
Tristin H.'s Artwork
Tristin H.'s Achievements
- National Honor Society 2014-2016
- Key Club Treasurer 2015-2016
- Soccer 2012-2014
- Cross Country 2014-2016
- CF Education and Motivation 2016 - CF Family Night motivational speaking
- Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo Volunteer - 2013-2016 Activities include staffing zoo education stations, exhibiting small animals, and creating enrichment opportunities for zoo animals.
- Pokagon State Park Nature Center Volunteer - 2013-2016 Help run programs and staff the Nature Center during times of need.
- Boy Scouts 2012-2016 Two terms as Senior Patrol Leader
- Society for Creative Anachronism - 2015 Known World Youth Baronial Archery Champion
- CF demonstration to Health Occupational Education (HOE) 2016